|The mushroom contains the poison orellanin, which damages the liver and kidneys.
||Symptoms do not appear until three days to two weeks after ingestion; by then, the victim develops excessive thirst and may drink several liters of fluid a day. By this time, the liver and kidneys usually have been irreversibly damaged. Other symptoms may include nausea, headache, muscular pains, and chills.
||Gastric lavage, if performed immediately after ingestion. In general, the only treatment once symptoms appear are kidney and liver transplants.