|This alkaloid was isolated in 1869 as a minor toxic constituent in the mushroom Amanita muscaria (in fresh fungi, it is found in only a concentration of 0.0003 percent). It is found in much larger amounts in many species of Inocybe and some species of Clitocybe mushrooms. Eating mushrooms that contain muscarine is only rarely fatal; even without treatment, most symptoms fade within a few hours.
||Muscarine, like pilocarpine, excites receptors of the parasympathetic and sympathetic nervous systems. Within 15 to 24 hours after ingestion, muscarine poisoning produces profuse sweating and salivation, visual disturbances, nausea, vomiting, abdominal pain, diarrhea, headache, and bronchospasm. Very high doses cause incontinence, slow heartbeat, low blood pressure, and shock.
||Symptoms will disappear even without treatment in most cases. However, vomiting and gastric lavage may help together with the administration of atropine to suppress toxin symptoms.